Wednesday 26 August 2015

Poker Stars All-In Kitchen, Bristol



If you saw my Week in Outfits post last month, you'll have already heard that I attended a Poker event in Bristol recently, but today I decided to dedicate a whole post to the event and tell you all about it!
The event was at Pata Negra, a restaurant in Bristol really near to the Hippodrome if you're familiar with the city at all! But the actual night was hosted by a company called PokerStars and it was a pop-up event for 3 nights, where the idea was to play 3 hands of poker and whoever had the most chips at the end of it, got a 3 course set-menu for free. Whoever came second got £10 off and only had to pay £8 and whoever came third got £5 off and only paid £13.
When I heard about the event, I immediately signed myself and my best friend Antonia up for one of the slots on the Monday night, because I thought it sounded like too much of a fun experience to miss out on it! Little did I realise that neither of us had any particular experience playing poker, so us being teens downloaded an app to try and refresh our skills over the weekend....
We admitted to the staff when we arrived on the night that we were total novices and everyone was so lovely about it so if ever you're thinking of avoiding an event like this due to inexperience, I wouldn't worry! I don't know if you can tell in that picture (sorry, the lighting in the place was a bit rubbish so none of the photos came out too brilliantly!) but we were actually given a cheat sheet advising us which combinations made the best hands which was very useful for us!
To cut a long story short, I miraculously ended up winning our game of Poker (after Antonia was told to go all-in by one of the staff trying to advise her and I followed suit) so I ended up getting my meal for free!
The food itself was absolutely gorgeous, I really enjoyed all three courses and it was just enough food to fill us up but without giving us that heavy, bloated feeling of eating too much. There was also a cocktail menu with fun, poker-themed drinks but as I had driven to the event I obviously couldn't drink, and Antonia felt a bit weird drinking alone so neither of us tried them - although they did look delicious.
Another lovely touch to the evening was in one corner, there was an iPad set up with lots of props to create a Photo Booth station, which as you can see we had a bit of a giggle with!

All in all, it was a very lovely evening and definitely one I would recommend going to if you ever get the opportunity to!

2 comments

  1. I love that you learned how to play poker over the weekend. I wanted to learn after I saw the Parent Trap for the first time, but it never happened haha. So cool that you actually won!

    xx Izzy | Qthee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thank you, we didn't want to turn up looking like total newcomers but in the end everyone was so nice that we felt comfortable enough to tell them the truth - that we knew NOTHING hahaha x

      Delete

© Meguana
Maira Gall